Separation Lawyers

The end of a relationship can be difficult and stressful, but seeking expert from our skilled separation lawyer quickly can help ensure your interests and rights are protected.

You need to be separated for two years to divorce in New Zealand, but there are some legal steps (link to article – advice on separation) you should take as soon as possible to protect your assets after you separate. Some of these can even be done when you are contemplating separation.  You do not have to wait for two years to finalise these separation details – in fact waiting can be detrimental to your interests.

Separating Relationship Property
Whether you are ending a marriage, civil union or a defacto relationship, it is extremely important for you to meet all the legal requirements to finalise separation of your relationship property as soon as possible.  Otherwise your ex-partner may be able to make claims on future earnings and assets you acquire in the future, or make a claim against your estate should you pass away.

You will need a formal end of relationship agreement, sometimes known as a Separation Agreement or Relationship Property Agreement.

As divorce and separation experts, we can assist you with simple divisions of property through to complex relationship property divisions involving family trusts, family businesses, family farms and/or existing Contracting Out Agreements.  As skilled negotiators who are experts in family law (and the Court’s interpretation of family laws) we will help you achieve the best possible outcome so that you can go on with your life.

As part of a full service firm we can advise you on and finalise all aspects of the process, including completing the conveyancing to sell or transfer property (and  if you purchase new property), winding up family trusts and establishing new family trusts, drafting new a new will and new enduring powers or attorney.
Our separation lawyers can help you with:

  • Severing joint tenancies
  • Determining separation dates
  • Formalising division of property
  • Negotiating division of relationship property
  • Drafting end of relationship agreements (Separation Agreements/Relationship Property Agreements)
  • Negotiating spousal maintenance, ecconomic disparity or occupational rent (where applicable)
  • Notices of claim
  • Resettling Family Trusts
  • Updating your will

Child Care Arrangements/Day to Day Care/Child Custody
If there are children from your relationship we can also assist you with negotiating and formalising the day to day care (child custody), visitation and guardianship arrangements of your children.  (See our Child Custody Law and Guardianship Law services)

Specialists in Separation

Recent Separation articles