The Smith and Partners Law Scholarships are awarded annually to students from West Auckland secondary schools to assist them to pay their first year of fees towards a New Zealand university law degree.
Each year we award $4000 in scholarships.
The scholarship pool comprises:
- Main prize: $3500 scholarship
- People’s Choice Award: $500 scholarship
- Finalists: $50 book voucher
A finalist will be appointed from each of the eligible schools, subject to a suitable candidate meeting minimum requirements.
To be eligible for the scholarship, students must be:
- A New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Enrolled in a West Auckland Secondary School (listed below) in the year of application
- Intending to study law at a New Zealand University in the year following application
(Acceptance to a registered NZ law programme will be required prior to payment).
The scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
Students will be selected for scholarships based on the following:
- Finalists will be selected based on the two essays and school results
- Finalists will be required to attend an interview at the Smith and Partners offices
- Scholarship winners will be selected based on the interview
- The People’s Choice Award will go to the finalist with the most votes (for more information see the People’s Choice Award section)
In the event that a previously announced winner does not get accepted into a New Zealand University law programme, the runners up will receive the scholarship amounts.