The Smith and Partners Law Scholarships are awarded annually to students from West Auckland secondary schools to assist them to pay their first year of fees towards a New Zealand university law degree.
Each year we award $4000 in scholarships.
The scholarship pool comprises:
- First prize: $2000 scholarship
- Second prize: $1000 scholarship
- Third prize: $500 scholarship
- People’s Choice Award $500 scholarship
- Finalists: $50 book voucher
A finalist will be appointed from each of the eligible schools, subject to a suitable candidate meeting minimum requirements.
Spread the word – “Like” our facebook page Smith and Partners Law Scholarship – www.facebook.com/lawscholarshipwest
Scholarship applicants must provide their completed applications to the Smith and Partners offices. Applications close 5pm Monday, 13 August 2018.
Applicants must supply:
- A short essay (up to 250 words) on ‘Why I would like to be a lawyer‘
- An essay (up to 500 words) on ‘What makes West Auckland great’
- A copy of most recent school report
- A copy of your most recent school exam results or a letter from school stating exam results
- Proof of New Zealand residency or citizenship
- (A copy of Passport (NZ or Australia), or Birth Certificate (NZ or Australia), or NZ Permanent Residency Visa or NZ Citizenship Certificate)
- A letter of recommendation from your school Principal, Associate Principal or Dean stating that you are enrolled at their school and that your current academic record suggests that you are likely to achieve acceptance into a New Zealand university law programme in the following year.
- A completed application form
- Finalists must also be available for an interview.
- Finalists must supply a digital copy of their “What makes West Auckland great” essay to qualify for the people’s choice award
We request that you do not supply original documents.
Applications will be accepted by post, courier or in person.
Send postal applications to:
Smith and Partners
PO Box 104065
Send courier and in person applications to:
Smith and Partners
293 Lincoln Road
Applications close: To be decided
Finalists announced: To be decided
People’s Choice Award voting open: To be decided
Payment of scholarship: The money will be paid directly to the scholarship recipient upon proof of acceptance into a New Zealand university law programme.
The application closing date listed above is final. All the other dates are tentative and subject to change. All applicants will be advised of any changes to the schedule.
To be eligible for the scholarship, students must be:
- A New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Enrolled in a West Auckland Secondary School (listed below) in the year of application
- Intending to study law at a New Zealand University in the year following application
(Acceptance to a registered NZ law programme will be required prior to payment).
Students will be selected for scholarships based on the following:
- Finalists will be selected based on the two essays and school results
- Finalists will be required to attend an interview at the Smith and Partners offices
- Scholarship winners will be selected based on the interview
- The People’s Choice Award will go to the finalist with the most votes (for more information see the People’s Choice Award section)
In the event that a previously announced winner does not get accepted into a New Zealand University law programme, the runners up will receive the scholarship amounts.
People’s Choice Award
The People’s Choice Award is being offered to finalists in the Smith and Partners Law Scholarship.
The essay ‘What Makes West Auckland Great’ from each of the finalists will be published here on the Smith and Partners website.
Friends, family and the public will be invited to vote for their favourite essay. The author with the most votes at midnight on the closing date will receive a $500 scholarship, subject to their acceptance into a New Zealand law school.
The People’s Choice Award will be promoted via participating schools, and via social media including the Smith and Partners Law Scholarship facebook page.
To be eligible for the scholarship, students must be enrolled in one of the following schools in 2018:
- ACG Sunderland College
- Arohanui Special School
- Avondale College
- Green Bay High School
- He Wero o Nga Wahine
- Henderson High School
Hobsonville Point Secondary School
- Immanuel Christian School
- Kaipara College
- Kelston Boys High School
- Kelston Girls College
- Liston College
- Lynfield College
- Massey High School
- Oaklynn Special School
- Odyssey House School
- Rutherford College
- St Dominic’s College
- Titirangi Rudolf Steiner School
- TKKM o Hoani Waititi
- Waipareira Alternative Education Unit – Amokura
- Waitakere College
If your school is not listed above and you believe your school should be eligible for the scholarship, please contact Smith and Partners’ General Manager – Strategy, Marketing & People, Julia Heckler by email at email@example.com.