Buying Investment Property As A First Home Buyer

17 May, 2017 | Jennifer Edwards

With the prices of property in Auckland skyrocketing, many first home buyers are buying out of Auckland; But what do you need to know about buying an investment property as a first home buyer?

Due Diligence

When purchasing any property you should do your homework on the property by obtaining a LIM report from the local Council, obtaining a builders report on the dwelling and have the property tested for methamphetamine by a reputable registered testing company.

Financing your investment

If you will not be living in the property yourself, even though you are a first home buyer the financing requirements are the same as that of a residential investor, you usually need a deposit of 40% of the purchase price.

KiwiSaver or Housing NZ Home Start Grant

You cannot withdraw your KiwiSaver or apply for a Housing NZ Home Start Grant as the requirements are that you must live in the property for at least 6 months following settlement. Be aware that once you purchase a property in your personal name you will not be able to withdraw your KiwiSaver later on to purchase your own home as you will now qualify as a previous home owner.

Your legal obligations as a landlord

Your obligations as a residential landlord are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act and the Residential Tenancies (Smoke Alarms and Insulation) Regulations. The 2016 Regulations stipulate minimum levels of insulation, and a requirement for smoke alarms (Please read our article on this here).  It is a good idea to make sure you are aware of your obligations before you buy, so that you can take into consideration any alterations you will need to make in order to rent the property out. For example you should check the celling and underfloor for appropriate insulation. It would be a good idea to appoint a local property manager to take care of the tenancy.

Tax breaks

There may be tax advantages to having a trust or company own the property (rather than owning it in your own name). We suggest you find yourself a good accountant who can advise you on your best options for ownership to make the most of your investment. If you do decide on a Trust or Company you will need to get it organised in advance before you buy. Don’t forget to register the entity with the IRD!

The Bright-line Test

As the property is an investment and you will not be living in it, if you sell the property within 5 years and you make a profit, you will be taxed on that profit. Read more about the Bright-line test

Choosing a lawyer

Your local lawyer can carry out the conveyancing and help you through the entire process. You do not need a lawyer in the city you are purchasing in.

Give Jennifer Edwards a call to discuss your investment property!
Phone: 09 837 6889
Click here to submit an enquiry form

Are you looking to purchase property as a first home buyer?

We can help guide you through the process and ensure things go smoothly – contact property law expert, Jennifer Edwards today.

email Jennifer
+64 9 837 6889

About the author

Jennifer has been helping Kiwis buy and sell property for over 15 years. As a highly experienced registered legal executive, she assists clients with residential and commercial property transactions including conveyancing, finance, reviewing building contracts for new builds and commercial
Read More »

Related articles

Requirements for Residential Rental Properties – What landlords Need to Know

Dec 22, 2020 | Read more »

What To Do If Your Residential Tenant Is Not Paying Their Rent?

Oct 11, 2018 | Read more »

KiwiSaver First Home Withdrawal: All your Questions Answered

Jan 18, 2022 | Read more »

The Agreement for Sale & Purchase: Essential Clauses When Buying Property

Nov 2, 2011 | Read more »

What Is The Bright-Line Test For Residential Property?

Mar 23, 2021 | Read more »