Taking the right steps towards family dispute resolution

12 September, 2014 | Smith and Partners

The NZ government recently developed a larger support system for resolving care of children disputes, which involves minimal legal/court intervention. If you’ve found yourself in a dispute regarding the care of your children and unsure how to navigate the new system, follow this flow chart to understand the next steps. If you’re not in dispute but still need an informal agreement in place, we can explain what to do next.

Contact us for further assistance
Are you in dispute with your child’s other guardian and need assistance with Family Dispute Resolution?

If you would like to become a client of Smith and Partners and get help with your guardianship issue, please contact our Family Team on 09 837 6883 or email partners@smithpartners.co.nz to set up an appointment to discuss your child custody matter.

We require a retainer to be paid prior to your first meeting, and we cannot assist with legal aid matters.

Please note that In accordance with our obligations under the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006, we cannot provide legal advice unless you have become a client of Smith and Partners and have received our Terms & Conditions of Engagement and Info for Clients.

Do you need assistance preparing for Family Dispute Resolution (FDR)?

We can help you get the best result for you and your kids – contact our team of specialist family lawyers today to set up an appointment.

Related articles

Parenting Orders vs Parenting Agreements: Which Is Right For You?

Feb 25, 2016 | Read more »

Child relocation disputes – What happens when one parent wants to move?

Apr 24, 2013 | Read more »

International Child Relocations – Which Lawyer Can Help?

Mar 29, 2017 | Read more »

Preventing your child being removed from New Zealand

Jun 9, 2015 | Read more »