Enforcing a Building Disputes Tribunal Adjudicator’s Determination

27 October, 2017 | Duncan Lang

Once you have received the Determination by an Adjudicator in the Building Disputes Tribunal, it is possible to obtain entry of that Determination as a Judgment in the District Court.

An application is filed in accordance with the District Court Rules and served on the Defendant.

The Defendant has five (5) working days within which to oppose entry of the determination as a Judgment but they are only permitted to do so if the Defendant can establish:

  • that the amount payable under the determination has been paid in full to the Plaintiff;
  • that the contract to which the determination relates is not a construction contract which the Construction Contacts Act applies; or
  • that a condition imposed by the Adjudicator in his or her determination has not been met.

If the Defendant does not take any steps to oppose the entry of the Determination as a Judgment within the permitted time, or the grounds for opposition do not fall into any of the above categories, the District Court must enter the Determination as a Judgment.

Once the Determination is entered as a Judgment, the Plaintiff can then enforce the Judgment in accordance with the District Court Rules by means of either an Order for Financial Assessment, Attachment Order or a Distress Warrant.

If you would like further advice as to how to enforce an Adjudicator’s determination or to find out more about the process of Adjudication, please contact our debt collection team today to set up an appointment. Phone 09 836 0939 or by email on partners@smithpartners.co.nz 

Do you need to get a Building Disputes Tribunal determination enforced so that you can be paid?

Get the process started today, contact our debt collection team today to set up an appointment.

email Duncan
+64 9 837 6890

About the author

Duncan is a skilled litigation & dispute resolution lawyer working in our civil litigation team. He focuses on property disputes, contract disputes and debt collection, including liquidation and bankruptcy proceedings. With a background in property law, Duncan has the benefit
Read More »

Related articles

Building Disputes Resolution and the New Construction Contracts Act

Mar 21, 2017 | Read more »

A customer owes me money – How can I get them to pay?

Jan 11, 2021 | Read more »

How to recover outstanding debt

Jun 22, 2015 | Read more »