Our expert team of construction lawyers specialise in advising small to medium construction related businesses, property developers and individual property owners. We have particular expertise assisting trades-based businesses, architects and architectural designers, and also represent suppliers of construction materials and independent sub-contractors.
We represent clients who undertake both residential and commercial property projects. They range from architects & designers, to independent builders, subcontractors and tradies through to large construction companies and property development firms.
Our construction and building law team brings specialist expertise in construction law together with a practical understanding of the New Zealand construction. They understand the complex regulatory environment and risk profile of the construction industry, and in particular how to provide assistance to small to medium sized business operating in this sector.
You’ll benefit from the team’s thorough knowledge of the Construction Contracts Act 2002 (“CCA”) and amendments, the Building Act 2004, Fair Trading Act 1986, Health and Safety at Work Act 2015, the common New Zealand standard form contracts (e.g. NZS 3910:2013 and IPENZ CCCS), and building disputes tribunal processes.
Whether we’re advising on:
- how to ensure your invoices meet the requirements of the CCA to be payment claim
- drafting terms of trade that provide additional security to reduce the risk to your business, or
- advising on building and construction contracts or regulatory requirements,
we combine expertise with practical solutions.
Our construction law team work together with specialists in employment law to assist you with apprenticeship training bonding schemes, employment agreements for contractors and health and safety obligations.
Our commercial law team can also offer specialist advice on tax law, business structures, joint venture agreements, shareholder and partnership agreements, and supplier contracts supported by in-depth understanding of the construction industry
Construction related debts and construction disputes
When construction related disputes arise, your business will benefit from our expert construction disputes team. They focus on quick resolution, out of court negotiation and maintaining ongoing industry relationships where needed. Learn more about how the construction disputes resolution team can help you here.
Our team of experienced building and construction lawyers can help you with:
- Resource consent, subdivision consents and land use consents
- Drafting, interpreting, negotiating and advising on building contracts
- Advice on specific statutory regulatory requirements
- Assistance with payment claims, payment schedules & enforcing judgment
- Advising on your obligations and rights under the Construction Contracts Act
- Advise on the construction industry regulatory environment
- Drafting and advising on terms of trade and credit policies to ensure maximum protection and minimisation of risk for your business
- Subcontractor contracts
- Assist you in understanding your obligations to ensure the health and safety of your employees and others
- Employment law advice, including Apprentice training bonding schemes
- Consultancy & Project Management Agreements
- Construction delay, variations, extensions of time, remedies, & defects liability
- Resolving construction disputes